- MIGHTY is a pediatric weight management program committed to helping youth achieve their weight management goals. Available only at the Springfield YMCA since 2007, MIGHTY is now offered in Westfield.
- The MIGHTY Program works with children ages 5-20. Classes are grouped by age, grade level, and maturity of the participants.
- Classes are scheduled on weekdays in between the hours of 3:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.
- Classes meet regularly for 12 sessions. Each session lasts for 2 hours. Following the initial 12 classes, participants attend 6-8 monthly sessions to maintain the changes they have made and set new goals.
- Participants will start each session with our Fitness Instructor for exercise and a fitness lesson. Adults are expected to use the YMCA facilities at this time also.
- Classes alternate between nutrition lessons and behavior lessons. Once a month you will meet with a nutrition educator. The other week of the month, you will meet with our Behavioral Specialist to learn how to apply your healthy habits at home.
- This is a healthy habits and lifestyle building program. We expect you to set and meet goals based on your individual health needs and personal values.
- The program includes a 6 month family membership to the YMCA of Greater Westfield free of charge to you. The membership includes 2 adults and the children of the household. An adult is anyone over 21 years of age.
What We Ask of You and Your Family:
- If your child is under 14 years old, they must come with an adult to use YMCA. We believe that weight management needs the support of the whole family so we ask that you and your child come to each class together.
- We ask that you work with us on helping you make and keep healthy lifestyle changes.
- There are 12 classes in the first 6 months. You are required to come to at least 9 classes during the 6 months of this program to keep your YMCA family membership.
- If you do miss more than 3 classes we will cancel you from the program and you will no longer have a membership to the YMCA.
- We expect you to use your free YMCA membership as much as possible when you are not in class.
- We will serve as a support system for you and your family. You will be asked to keep food journals and activity logs so we can accurately assess your progress. We like you to stay in touch with us weekly to discuss your success and any trouble you may encounter throughout the program.
What You Can Expect of Us:
- We will work with you to set specific and realistic healthy goals that apply to your needs and values.
- Program staff are committed to helping you meet your goals. In addition to MIGHTY classes, we offer appointments with our behavioral health team, grocery store tours, small group workouts, one-on-one sessions with our dietitians or nurse practitioner, and family events.
- We will schedule one-on-one meetings with you and your family to help you problem solve and reach your goals.
How to Join the MIGHTY Program:
- Call the YMCA of Westfield to sign-up for the program at 413-568-8631.
- You will be given a date to attend a registration and information session at the YMCA in Westfield.
- Ask your doctor to complete the Medical Clearance form. This form may be faxed or hand delivered to the YMCA at or before your registration session.
- Complete your Physical Evaluation History form. This form may be faxed or hand delivered to the YMCA at or before your registration session. Both medical forms must be received in order to complete your MIGHTY registration.
- Attend the registration session at the Westfield YMCA. Get excited!
- At the registration session, or soon after, the MIGHTY Program instructors will inform you of your class start date and time.
- Please call for next session dates.
- Free 6 month family membership to the YMCA of Greater Westfield
- Cindy Agan, Health & Wellness Director