Please continue to check this page for the most up-to-date information
WE ARE OPEN!
We are excited that we have received the MA Safety Standards for Fitness Centers and Health Clubs from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. \ Safety of our members, staff and the community is our number one priority. We have been working hard on policies, procedures and facilities. Now that we have the necessary guidance we need to take the time to make the adjustments to ensure compliance. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding as we strive to bring you the best YMCA experience possible.
SAFETY COMES FIRST
To ensure the safety of all of our staff, members and community, individuals entering the facility will be required to check in at the welcome center and sanitize their hands in the front lobby. Members are also asked to review our health screening questions and to not use our facility if any questions are answered with a "YES". Members may be asked to wear a mask while in certain areas of the facility.
EXPECT SOCIAL DISTANCING
All members will be required to practice social distancing while inside the YMCA. In some cases, the availability of equipment, features and spaces will be limited to ensure members are able to maintain the recommended 6ft of separation.
ACCESS MAY BE RESTRICTED
In order to comply with the CDC's social distancing recomendations, some areas and services of the YMCA may be restricted. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience and understandings.
FAILURE TO COMPLY IS NOT AN OPTION
We want to keep our doors open for as many members as possible. doing so means taking safety seriously. Please note that any member who fails to comply with social distancing and YMCA policies may be asked to leave the facility.
MEMBER LETTER 07.09.2020 - COMPLETE UPDATES
WELCOME BACK TO YOUR NEW YMCA
We miss you! It’s been hard to be away from the people we care about but thank you for persevering and doing your part to stay safe and stop the spread of the coronavirus. We are truly thankful for all of your support during this crisis and know that we are stronger because of your dedication to the Y.
The YMCA health and wellness facility is scheduled to open Monday July 13th. When we reopen the Y will look a little different than when we closed on March 16th. We have been working hard on policy, procedures and facilities. We have taken input from the CDC, industry experts, the state, as well as YMCAs from across the country that have reopened before us and have great information on what works and what doesn’t work.
All changes that we have implemented meet or exceed the Fitness Centers and Health Clubs MA Safety Standards. These requirements and standards are to be strictly adhered to by members and staff. Safety of our members, staff and the community is our number one priority.
While we can’t predict how long the COVID-19 crisis will last, or whether it will be necessary to close facilities and programs again in the future, we are committed to doing whatever is necessary to ensure your safety. The way we’ll interact with each other will be different, but at the Y you will always be able to connect with people, improve your health and wellness, nurture your children’s potential and help strengthen community.
Please review the changes that we have implemented. Reopening guidance by areas such as the entering the facility, pool usage, weight rooms, cardio, group exercise, etc. can be found on our website: www.westfieldymca.org.
SAFETY COMES FIRST
- In order to ensure the safety of our members, staff and community we are implementing new personal safety measures:
- Stay home if you/your child(ren) are sick.
- We will ask each member to self-screen prior to entering the Y. If there is a “yes” answer to any of our screening questions we ask that you do not enter the facility.
- Face coverings must be worn at all times in hallways and common areas. Please bring your own face covering, or admittance to the Y will be prohibited.
- Hand sanitizer and disinfectants are available throughout the facility for your use.
- Respect and review all signs each time you visit the Y. As we move through the phases of reopening things may change often.
FOCUS ON CLEANLINESS
We are adhering to rigorous cleaning and sanitation standards in our facilities, in addition to the nightly deep clean, the Y will have dedicated cleaning staff throughout the day.
You play a role in helping us stop the spread of germs by wiping down all equipment before and after use, washing/sanitizing your hands often, and by teaching and modeling proper washing/sanitizing of your hands to your child(ren).
EXPECT AND RESPECT PHYSICAL DISTANCING
All members will be required to maintain 6 feet of physical distancing while inside the Y. This will affect building and room capacities and availability of equipment. No contact of any kind is permitted, including spotting in the weight room. In order to accommodate members and space we may require registration for targeted areas throughout the facility.
- Masks are required in the YMCA.
- Masks must be worn while working out in weight rooms, nautilus/matrix, and the TRX/Functional training room.
- Masks can be removed while using cardio equipment such as treadmills, elliptical and bikes. The cardio equipment is arranged to maintain 14 feet of physical distance.
- Masks can be removed during group exercise classes. Fourteen (14) feet of physical distance must be maintained for masks to be removed for any type of exercise.
- Masked can be removed while using the pool.
ACCESS MAY BE RESTRICTED
In order to comply with the physical distancing guidelines, we will be limiting the number of people inside the facility or in certain areas. No guests or nationwide members will be allowed at this time. Certain areas of the building and equipment may be closed or restricted or have limited timed usage and/or require preregistration. Examples for areas that may require registration include lap lanes, group exercise classes, weight room usage and personal training appointments. We have developed a reservation system should the need arise.
WHAT ELSE IS NEW AND/DIFFERENT?
- WAIVERS: All members will be asked to complete a written waiver before returning to the Y. We will have a dedicated area to sign it in house. You can also find it on our website as a PDF to download; or there is a link on our website to sign it electronically. Just be sure to have the confirmation email sent to your smart phone for proof of signing. They are mandatory for all individuals on a membership. Without a signed waiver on file access to the Y will be denied.
- All members must scan in upon entering the facility. If you lost your card we are happy to replace it. It is important that we have a record of who was in the building and when.
- Please bring your own water bottle. We highly recommend that you fill your water bottle at home. Water fountains will only be used to fill water bottles. The vending machines have been removed from the Y.
- Please bring your own towel. The Y will no longer have towels available for member use.
- Please bring your own yoga mat.
- Locker Rooms are open for changing and storing of belongings. Masks must be worn and 6 feet of physical distance must be maintained. Members will need to wipe down lockers before and after use. Showers are only available to those utilizing the pool. Showers will be for rinsing off before and after swimming.
- The steam room is closed until further notice.
- Fans are not be used per CDC guidelines.
- Please register for all classes in person at the Y or via phone. This does not guarantee your spot in class; it guarantees that the Y has a roster of potential class participants. All group exercise, yoga and cycling classes will take place in the gym. Each member will have 14 feet of physical distance. Masks are not required as long as 14 feet of distance can be maintained. We will institute a reservation system should we deem it necessary. The current capacity of the gym is 18 members. Please be sure to check out the new class schedule as there are many changes.
- Personal and Small Group Training are allowable. There must be 6 feet of physical distance and masks must be worn.
- For your safety we have reconfigured our YMCA. We have moved cardio equipment to accommodate physical distancing. We have set room capacity limits to accommodate physical distancing. The Gym will be available as a workout area when classes are not in session.
Please be sure to check out the new pool schedule as there are many changes.
- Lap swimming will be available - one swimmer will be allowed per lane. There will be a dedicated time for our master swimmers’ where we can accommodate up to 12 people in the pool.
- The small pool will be open for aquatic classes and adult open swim. At this time we are not offering family swim or swim lessons. As we progress through a phased re-opening our goal is to add these activities back to the schedule. Aquatic classes require a 24 advance registration as class size is limited.
- Both Basketball and Pickleball are currently suspended until further notice.
- Child watch is currently suspended until further notice.
- Plexiglas shields have been installed at the front desk.
- Common seating areas will be temporarily closed.
OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES/ YOUTH AND FAMILY PROGRAMMING: The staff is developing outdoor activities and programs for adults, children and families. This schedule will be released after we reopen. We need to place our focus on opening the facility and then we can launch additional programming.
This pandemic has taught us that we all need to work together. It has taught us how to be flexible and change on the fly. Please be patient - as plans are developed, guidance changes, and so do our plans.
We wish you and those you love health and safety during this worrisome time. Thank you for your continued support. We will continue to communicate with you, as there will be more updates in the upcoming days.
Please know that we deeply appreciate your patience as we respond as soon as possible.
All members (adults and minors) will be asked to complete a written waiver before returning to the Y. We will have a dedicated area to sign it in house. You can also find it on our website as a PDF to download; or there is a link to sign it electronically. Just be sure to have the confirmation email sent to your smart phone for proof of signing.
HELP STOP THE SPREAD - HEALTH SCREENING QUESTIONS
IF YOU ANSWER "YES" TO ANY OF THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS PLEASE DO NOT ENTER THE YMCA OF GREATER WESTFIELD.
- HAVE YOU BEEN IN CONTACT WITH A CONFIRMED CASE OF COVID-19?
- ARE YOU EXPERIENCING A COUGH, SHORTNESS OF BREATH OR SORE THROAT?
- HAVE YOU HAD A FEVER IN THE LAST 48 HOURS?
- HAVE YOU HAD NEW LOSS OF TASTE OR SMELL?
- HAVE YOU HAD VOMITING OR DIARRHEA IN THE LAST 24 HOURS?
- HAVE YOU HAD ABNORMAL FATIGUE, MUSCLE ACHES OR ABDOMINAL PAIN IN THE LAST 48 HOURS?
MASKS REQUIRED IN THE YMCA OF GREATER WESTFIELD FACILITY INCLUDING WHILE WORKING OUT IN:
- WEIGHT ROOMS
- NAUTILUS / MATRIX ROOM
- TRX / FUNCTIONAL TRAINING ROOM
MASKS MAY ONLY BE REMOVED:
- WHILE USING CARDIO EQUIPMENT (TREADMILL, ELIPTICAL, STATIONARY BIKE, ETC)
- WHEN USING THE POOL
- DURING GROUP EXERCISE CLASSES
WE APPRECIATE YOUR COOPERATION AND UNDERSTANDING IN HELPING TO KEEP OUR FACILITY SAFE
LOCKER ROOM PROCEDURES
MASKS MUST BE WORN AT ALL TIMES
MAINTAIN PHYSICAL DISTANCE OF 6 FEET AND SELECT A LOCKER ATLEAST 6 FEET FROM ANOTHER IN USE
CLEAN YOUR LOCKER WITH DISINFECTANT WIPES BEFORE AND AFTER USE
SHOWERS ARE ONLY FOR THOSE USING AQUATICS PROGRAMMING, RINSE OFF BEFORE AND AFTER USING THE POOL.
WHAT IS UNAVAILABLE?
- TOWEL SERVICE
- THE STEAM ROOM
- CHILD WATCH
- BASKETBALL GAMES
- NATION WIDE MEMBERSHIP
- GUEST PASSES
- DROP-IN PASSES
- ALL USERS MUST BE FULL FACILITY MEMBERS OF THE YMCA OF GREATER WESTFIELD
MA Safety Standards for Fitness Centers and Health Clubs from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
INFORMATION ON THE RE-OPENING OF MASSACHUSETTS AND THE SAFETY STANDARDS SET BY THE COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS CAN BE FOUND AT www.mass.gov/info-details/safety-standards-and-checklist-fitness-centers-and-health-clubs